Top 10 Most Popular Rice Varieties In India And Their Benefits
In Asian countries, rice is a major item of the staple food. In India, rice is loved by many. Majority of us feel incomplete if rice is missing in the meal. But did you know that there are over 400 types of rice that are consumed every day all over the nation? However, most popular rice in India is divided into two major categories, namely, Processed Rice and Unprocessed Rice. The unprocessed rice usually has higher nutritional values than the processed white grain. Most of us tend to choose the rice depending on its flavor and not its nutritional benefits.
Different countries have a love for different rice grains. For instance, Chinese cuisines are quite specific about long grain rice whereas American cuisines generally amalgamate short length rice grains. On the other hand, talking about most popular rice in India and its benefits, it’s a mixture of all varieties of rice brans.
Some of the rice varieties are good for curing obesity while others are rich with carbohydrates that help in gaining weight. It completely depends on the type of rice consumed. Let us know about the various benefits of Indian rice:
- Energy Generation – Carbohydrates in rice is turned into sugar, which in turn, provides instant energy.
- High Nutritional Value – Rice is rich in various nutrients such as Carbohydrates, Soluble Fiber, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin D, Niacin, Riboflavin and Thiamine.
- Improves Digestion – Brown rice contains fiber, which helps in digestion as well as maintaining blood sugar.
- Gluten-free Food – Rice has no gluten. Thus, rice can be included in the diet of people with celiac diseases and those who are allergic to proteins such as the ones found in wheat, barley, rye and oats.
- Blood Pressure Control – Soluble fiber in rice helps in minimizing the cholesterol by dissolving the fat saturated on the walls of the veins. This results in lowering the blood pressure and keeping it in check.
- Cancer Prevention – Whole grain brown rice is rich in insoluble fiber that protects the body from various types of cancer-causing cells. According to scientific researches across the world, the insoluble fiber is a vital element in prevention of cancer-causing bodies.
- Presence of Antioxidant – Rice contains various antioxidants. These antioxidants are helpful in keeping our bodies from early aging and several diseases caused in the old age such as Alzheimer’s, Dementia and Bipolar disorder.
- Skincare – Medical experts have proven that applying rice powder on skin can help in curing skin problems. According to Ayurveda, rice water has been prescribed for various skin related issues such as burns, rashes and irritation. The phenolic compound in brown and wild rice are used for curing various infections.
- Boosting Cardiovascular Health – Rice bran oil has proven to be a much healthier alternative to palm oil, sunflower oil and ground nut oil. Rice bran oil not only minimizes the cholesterol levels but also minimizes the risk of getting cardiac arrest, also known as heart attack.
Besides these benefits, some of the most popular rice dishes will surely tickle your taste buds. Following rice varieties have been in the tradition of India since ages and have become an essential part of the India’s culture:
- White Rice – White rice is the easiest to cook and the most commonly consumed rice recipe in India. This particular rice is helpful in dealing with digestive problems such as constipation and morning sickness. White rice is commonly known to be the polished rice and has the best taste of all. White rice is majorly consumed in the southern part of India in form of Idli, Dosa and Rasam.
- Brown Rice – The whole grain brown rice is one of the healthiest rice that is consumed the least. Studies have proven presence of arsenic in brown rice which lends the rice a very bad taste and odor. Thus, many doctors recommend lesser consumption of brown rice. The rice is full of manganese, phosphorus, vitamin B6, fiber and selenium. Usually, it takes longer for brown rice to be chewed. Now-a-days, many of the urban kitchens are replacing white rice with brown due to the increased health consciousness.
- Red Rice – Red rice is a better option for diabetic patients and ones with blood sugar problems. This rice gets its bright red color from the high level of an antioxidant called anthocyanin. However, risk of cancer is high with extra consumption of red rice since it contains high amount of iron.
- Parboiled Rice – Parboiled rice can be an easier alternative for diabetic patients for Red Rice. This variety of rice can fulfill their daily requirement for potassium, iron, calcium and manganese.
- Palakkadan Matta Rice – Palakkadan Matta rice is a very famous rice dish in Kerala. This crop is mainly grown on the boarders of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. It is rich in manganese and calcium. It is found in some states of Sri Lanka as well.
- Black Rice – Black rice is commonly found in the state of Tamil Nadu. It is a unique product of the state due to special cultivation and natural habitat. This rice is full of vitamins and antioxidants. Mostly, the natives use this rice to make pudding. Cardamom, sugar, ghee and various spices are added to the rice after keeping it soaking for a night. Once ready, this variety of rice makes a wonderful dessert.
- Sticky Rice – This particular variety of rice is extremely sticky once cooked. It is high on selenium which helps better functioning of human body. It makes the connective tissues stronger and stimulates the brain functionalities to get better. This rice is popularly used in the north east part of India to make various sweet dishes and desserts.
- Basmati Rice – Basmati rice looks a lot like Jasmine rice. It is mainly used in dishes like Biryani, Pulao, Kheer and many rich-in-flavor recipes. Basmati rice is majorly found in the western part of India, that is, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan as well as in countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan. The specialty of this variety of rice is the fragrance that it gives out when cooking. But that’s not it! It is full of various essential minerals and vitamins and a great source of carbohydrates. In earlier days, consumption of Basmati was less. These days, however, India is well-known for its high exports all across the world as well as for the high consumption of Basmati.
- Wild Rice – This variety of rice takes quite a long time to be cooked and is the most expensive in all the varieties of rice. Usually this rice is sold online and hardly in any offline markets due to its niche consumers. In early ages, this rice was cultivated only in China and in America.
- Jasmine Rice – This variety of rice is also known as the Thai Fragrance Rice. It has a fragrance of a jasmine flower and tastes extremely delicious. Jasmine rice blesses the consumers with incredible health benefits along with taste and wonderful aroma. It is an alternative to Basmati rice and is mainly grown in the south east part of Asia such as Thailand, Korea and Philippines.
The enlisted rice varieties are simply incredible and you should never miss a chance to try them. Most of the time, rice is grown in either western or south part of India. Besides these 10 varieties of rice, there are several others that are high in nutrition and fulfil the routine requirements of the consumer. Not only each of these varieties are tasty but also have numerous health benefits too.
25/04/2020  Geet Donde